Candy Corns, love them or hate their arrival means all of the fall and Halloween festivities are about to begin. For all of you candy corn haters do not fear , pick the decorative candy corn off the top and it’s just a plain vanilla funfetti cupcake . If you love candy corns check out my Autumn M&M Snack Mix .To make these cute festive cupcakes the only special ingredient that you need is the candy corn sprinkles. These are just the yellow , orange and white sprinkles mixed in one jar and they call them candy corn sprinkles. When all the Halloween decorations start hitting the shelves these are fairly easy to find. I found mine at Hobby Lobby but I have seen them at Wal-Mart and even some Dollar Stores. If all else fails search the internet , Amazon as just about everything.
I gave two different options for decorating these cupcakes. I piped on the frosting with a Wilton 1MM tip. This tip is very easy to find since even Wal-Mart carries them, and all of the craft stores. When piping with a tip this large I do prefer a pipping bag and not the optional ziplock bag, it just makes your life easier. In this first option I divided the frosting in three colors and piped it on to make it look like a candy corn. I know it is adorable but not everyone has the desire or time for this so I gave a second option.
My second option is just plain white frosting topped with a candy corn and sprinkles. Again I used a wilton 1M tip ,but with this option you can just spread the frosting on and do the same toppings. I know not everyone is Betty Crocker and the spreading technique allows the kids help and make it a fun project.
This recipe starts with very simple ingredients and I just doctor up a cake mix a little. In this case , I replaced the water with milk and added a touch of vanilla.
Since cake mixes are very forgiving nothing special really needs to be done . Mix everything together and blend until all the lumps are gone. Lastly stir in the fun sprinkles.
Line a cupcake pan with liners of your choice and divide the mix between 24 wells. Bake at 350 degrees for about 15 minutes.
Once the cupcakes are baked and fully cooled it’s time to begin on the frosting. Start with 1 cup of room temperature butter.
Slowly add sifted powdered sugar. Trust me , when making frosting like this you will never regret sifting the frosting. Add a little at a time blending as you go.
During the process of adding the powdered sugar you will need to alternate the milk and extracts to get them incorporated. At this point you should have enough to frosting 24 cupcakes with white frosting.
If you chose to do the three layers you may need to make some extra frosting unless the swirls are very small. An extra half recipe will be enough to cover all the cupcakes. When tinting the frosting always use a gel food coloring. It really gives the intense colors needed . These are the two colors I used from wilton.
Once the cupcakes have the frosting drizzle the sprinkles and top with a candy corn.
Candy Corn Funfetti Cupcakes
- White Cake Mix
- 1 cup milk
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 cup Candy Corn Sprinkles
- 1 cup butter -room temp
- 4 cups sifted powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extracts
- 1 teaspoon almond extracts
- 2 tablespoons milk
- yellow and orange gel food coloring
- Candy Corn Sprinkles
- 24 candy corns for each cupcake
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Line cupcake pans with 25 liners
- Mix white cake mix, eggs, oil ,milk, and vanilla extracts until it is smooth
- Stir in 1/2 cup of Candy Corn sprinkles
- Divide cake mix between 24 cupcake wells
- Bake for 15 minutes
- Remove from the pan and allow to cool
- Blend together 1 cup of room temperature butter and a little sifted powder sugar at a time, starting with maybe a cup.
- Alternate milk and powdered sugar
- Also incorporate both extracts
- At this point the cupcakes can be decorated with white frosting by spreading or piping and topped with candy corns and sprinkles
Option 2 for frosting
- If you want to decorate the cakes in the three colors you will with need to make your swirls very small or make another half batch of frosting.
- Reserve 2/3 cup of white frosting
- Divide the remaining frosting in half and tint one orange and one yellow
- Place the three frostings in piping bags with a #1m Wilton tip
- On the cupcake pipe the yellow, then orange and white on top , getting smaller as you go up like a candy corn
- Top with a candy corn and sprinkles