Steaks are an ultimate treat at our house , our three teenage sons are major carnivores . When they know we are grilling thick cuts of beef they will skip all other meals that day to make sure they can finish every little morsel. My husband , for the fear we won’t have enough meat ALWAYS grills at least two to three extra steaks . With my husbands phobia of not having enough meat we always have at least one whole steak leftover ,if not more. Over the years I have come up with many creative ways to use the leftover meat but these Leftover Steak Quesadillas are by far my favorite way. I have also done this with our left over holiday prime rib and they are even more fabulous.
Very simple ingredients are needed for this recipe. Your leftover meat, large tortillas , one large yellow onion, one pound of sliced mushrooms, minced garlic, 8oz Monterrey Jack Cheese and olive oil.
You will need several skillets ..sorry. In a large skillet with on medium heat start to saute your onions , then add the mushrooms and garlic. Cook down and deglaze your pan with either red wine or beef broth. Water can be used but doesn’t provide as much flavor. Cook until onions and mushrooms are cooked well.
In a small skillet heat diced steak with a little olive oil and deglaze the pan at the very end .
While your onions and mushrooms are cooking down grate your cheese. I really like grating my own cheese for this , it melts so much better than the already grated cheese.
Heat a large skillet with a little olive oil . Lay a large tortilla down on half sprinkle desired amount of cheese , then onion mushroom mixture , then steak , then a little more cheese. Fold the tortilla in half and place it in the skillet on medium heat until it slightly browns. Brush the uncooked side with a little olive oil.
Carefully flip and cook until the cheese is all nice and melted. Cut Leftover Steak Quesadillas in half to serve .
Other Recipes you my enjoy:
Leftover Steak Quesadillas
- Leftover steak of any kind or Prime Rib
- 1 large Yellow Onion
- 1 lb sliced mushrooms
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 4 Large Flour Tortillas
- 8 oz block Monterrey jack cheese
- olive oil
- red wine beef broth or water to deglaze pans
- Prepare your ingredients by grating the cheese, dicing the steak in tiny pieces, and slicing your onions
- In a large skillet heat a tablespoon or so of olive oil and saute your onion, mushrooms and garlic on medium heat. Deglaze your pan occasionally with wine or beef broth . Cook until the onions are clear.
- In the same skillet on medium heat place your diced steak with a little olive oil , right before it's done heating deglaze the pan with red wine or beef broth
- Start heating a large skillet or griddle on medium heat with olive oil
- Lay a tortilla out flat on the counter
- ONLY On one half of the tortilla sprinkle desired amount of cheese
- Then add onion ,mushroom and steak mixture
- Top with a little more cheese and fold over
- Carefully place in heated skillet or griddle
- Brush the top with a little olive oil
- Once the bottom begins to brown and the cheese begins to melt carefully flip over
- Cook until the cheese is nice and melted and the outside is slightly brown and crisp
- Slice in half to serve