This Smoked Gouda Grilled Cheese is the ultimate grown up grilled cheese ! Growing up I can remember my grandmother coming to stay with us and she loved making grilled pimento and cheese sandwiches. She would get pretty creative and put slices of avocado or caramelized onions on them . One of my favorite combinations was adding a little bit of pepper jelly. The sweet and spicy jelly mixed with the creamy pimento and cheese was to die for. For this ultimate grilled cheese I used my Smoked Gouda Pimento Cheese and it was the best grilled cheese I have ever had.
Helpful links for this recipe :
- To make your own smoked gouda pimento cheese click HERE
- To make your own Pepper Jelly click HERE
- To buy your own Pepper Jelly click HERE
While you can use any pimento and cheese I highly recommend making your own for the best results . Seriously , this warm gooey goodness will make it worth it! I am going to give you a few tips on how to get the results while making this grilled cheese.
Make your pimento and cheese ahead of time . Right before you are ready to make your grilled cheese fry your favorite bacon and set aside.
Always, I repeat always use real butter when making a grilled cheese. Bringing both the butter and pimento and cheese to room temperature , it will make it easier to spread. I keep a butter dish on my counter all the time with butter . Spread a little butter on your favorite bread ,place butter side down in a warmed skillet on low heat. Spread a little pepper jelly, then smoked gouda pimento cheese and bacon. Top with another piece of buttered bread. Let that side grill and carefully flip over.
Place a lid on top of your skillet .
Let grill until it is warm and gooey .
Enjoy with a nice glass of sweet tea !
* THIS POST CONTAINS AFFILIATE LINKS WHICH MEANS I MAY MAKE A SMALL PROFIT FROM PRODUCTS AT NO COST TO YOU . CLICK HERE FOR FULL DISCLAIMER
Grilled Smoked Gouda Pimento Cheese Sandwich
Smoked Gouda Pimento Cheese
- 8 oz Smoked Gouda
- 4 oz White Cheddar
- 8 oz Cream Cheese Room Temp
- 1/2 cup mayo
- 1/2 cup diced pimentos
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 2 slices of your favorite bread
- Butter -room temperature
- Pepper Jelly
- Smoked Gouda pimento cheese
- 2 slices of bacon
Smoked Gouda Pimento Cheese
- Shred both cheeses and set aside
- Drain pimentos and set aside
- Mix cream cheese, mayo , pepper and onion powder
- Mix in Cheese
- Mix in pimentos
- Either chill or set aside to assemble sandwiches
- Make Pimento Cheese -set aside
- Fry bacon and set aside
- Heat skillet up to low heat
- spread butter on the a slice of bread
- On the other side of the bread spread enough pepper jelly to cover and place butter side down in skillet
- Then desired amount of pimento cheese and place 2 slices of bacon on top
- Spread another piece of bread with pepper jelly and butter on the other side
- Place pepper jelly side down and grill for a few minutes and flip
- Place a lid on top of the skillet and grill until both sides are golden brown and all the cheese is melted.