Do you ever have over ripe bananas and don’t want those babies to go to waste? This is how this Maple Banana Cake was born , I had some bananas I did not want to toss out. Plus ,this has a little bit of a fall feel with the maple flavor. I’ll be honest here, it is August in southern Louisiana and I am TIRED of the heat index being over a 100 degrees. I didn’t go full fall but just a little touch and hoping for cooler weather . If you have bananas that need to used a simpler recipe is my Apple Butter Banana Bread.
This cake is delicious , it has a dense texture and moist at the same time. The cake is very simple in flavor , the maple and banana is a perfect combination . What really makes this special is the Maple Cream Cheese frosting. OMG , I really wanted to lick the bowl and that is rare..maybe lol.
Start by preheating your oven to 350 degrees and whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt and set aside. In a mixing bowl beat together the butter and sugar, then add one egg at a time until the mixture is fluffy. Mash your ripe bananas very well and blend them into the mixture.
Add a cup of the flour mixture and mix well.
Now alternate adding the buttermilk and water then the flour mixture until blended well.
Once mixed well pour into a 9×13 baking pan and bake for 35 minutes in a preheated oven. Let cool Completely and mix the Maple Cream Cheese Frosting . Spread on the cake sprinkle with pecans.
Maple Banana Cake
- 1 ½ sticks unsalted butter-room temp
- 3 eggs room temp
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 medium mashed overripe bananas
- 2 2/3 all purpose flour
- 1 ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¾ cup buttermilk
- ½ cup water
- 1 tsp maple extract
Maple Cream Cheese Frosting
- 8 oz Cream Cheese -room temp
- 1/2 stick butter -room temp
- 1/2 teaspoon maple extract
- 1-2 Tablespoons of milk
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1/2 cup roughly chopped pecans
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Prepare 9x13 baking pan with Bakers Joy or butter and flour
- Sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and set aside
- In a mixing bowl beat together the butter and sugar until fluffy
- Add one egg at a time beating well
- Add Mashed bananas
- Add one cup of the flour mixture and beat together
- Add a little buttermilk and alternate flour ,buttermilk and water
- Add Maple Extract and blend well
- Once everything is blended well pour in prepared pan
- Bake for 35-40 minutes or until toothpick comes clean.
- Let cool completely
- Mix together the Maple Cream Cheese Frosting -These is not a stiff frosting
- Spread over cake and sprinkle with pecans