These Southern Smoky Green Beans are a must for any family get together. In my family I am known for my green beans, of all the things I cook. GREEN BEANS? LOL. Seriously, my niece has asked me if I sprinkle a little magic on them. Basically these Southern Smoky Green Beans I tell all my secrets of how to make canned green beans taste good. It’s not real hard or even take all that long but they are so good. Another family favorite is my Cajun Potato Salad.
Green Beans straight out of the can are just plain and gross. I used to fry down bacon and onion ,while that is totally acceptably this way is so much better. I changed it up for my youngest son, who is super picky. He loves smoked sausage and will not eat anything if he sees a real onion in it. These dehydrated onions fool him and they do the flavor trick.
Start with these simple ingredients . Green beans and a really good smoked sausage , Tony’s (a staple at my house), onion flakes, garlic powder, liquid smoke and black pepper. Tony’s has a lot of salt so a rarely need to add extra salt but if you use a different brand you can add salt to taste.
Slice the sausage in half moons and dump all the ingredients in a medium pot. Start on high heat and bring to a boil, then turn down to a simmer. Simmer for 30-45 minutes until almost all of the liquid is gone. That’s it ..simple but delicious .
These are good as a side anytime of year from Christmas to Summer BBQ’s .
Southern Smoky Green Beans
- 3 14.5 oz cans green beans
- 1 link smoked sausage..approx 12-16 oz
- 3 Tablespoons Dehydrated onion flakes
- 1 teaspoon Tony's Chachere's
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon liquid smoke
- salt to taste ..Tony's has plenty of salt
- Slice sausage in half moons
- Empty the green beans with all the juices in a medium pot
- Add all of the seasoning and sausage
- Stir and start the burner on high
- Once the mixture comes to a boil turn it down to simmer
- Simmer 30-45 minutes, when most of the liquid is gone it is done
- You will have tender flavorful green beans