These oven baked BBQ baby back ribs are cooked low , slow and fall off the bone tender. They have the perfect smoky spice combination and is topped with a sweet BBQ sauce of your choice. Smoked baby back ribs are one my favorite things my husband cooks on the pit but the last time he was deployed I had a few failed attempts at duplicating them. Mostly I just didn’t have the patients nor the time back then to master the pit. I still had three grade school aged boys that kept me busy and watching the pit wasn’t in my agenda. So , I started experimenting with oven baked ribs and I figured out this was so easy. Delicious ribs and easy , it was a win win . The only bad thing was my oven was tied up so I couldn’t make baked beans but that’s ok Boiled Corn and Pea Salad goes with these ribs perfectly and no oven needed .
Items needed to make Oven Baked Ribs:
- An oven -obviously LOL
- One Rack of Baby Back Ribs
- Baking Sheet
- Foil- click here to see the one I like , it is stronger
- Chef’s knife
- Brown sugar
- Seasoning-salt, pepper, cumin, chili powder, paprika, onion and garlic powder
- BBQ sauce of choice-we like Sweet Baby Ray’s
- Cutting Board
Commonly asked questions :
Do I have to remove the membrane?
No you don’t BUT removing the membrane not only allows the flavors to penetrate the meat , It also allow the meat to be tender and fall off the bone .
Can I cook more than one rack of ribs at a time?
YES you can, I have cooked 2 at one time and the cooking time is still the same.
Can I cook it at a higher temp so it will cook faster?
NO, they will be cooked but they won’t be tender. LOW and SLOW is the game here.
Do I have to add the honey to the BBQ sauce?
No you can skip it but the Honey just helps the caramelizing of the meat
Let’s Make Oven Baked Ribs!
Gather your ingredients then wash and pat dry the ribs.
Remove the membrane by starting with the meat side down and use a knife to start a little flab of the thin membrane. Once you have a little bit of it up slowly run your fingers under it to disconnect it from the entire boney side.
In a bowl mix together the brown sugar and seasonings.
On a baking sheet place a large enough piece of foil for the ribs . Liberally spread the brown sugar mixture on both sides of the ribs.
Seal the top and the sides of the foil by bringing it up and folding it over. Place the foil wrapped ribs on the baking sheet in the preheated oven for 3 hours.
After 3 hours pull the ribs out of the oven and carefully open the foil and baste the ribs with a honey and BBQ mixture. Broil them on high for five minutes or until the sauce is caramelized.
Allow the ribs to rest for ten minute and then slice between the bones. Be careful because the bones will slide right out of the meat.
Fall off the bone Good !!
** This post contains affiliate links click here for full disclosure
Oven Baked BBQ Baby Back Ribs
- 1 Rack Baby Back Ribs
- 1/2 cup Brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons onion powder
- 1 teaspoons salt
- 1 Tablespoon Chili powder
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 Tablespoon Smoked Paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper optional
- 1/2-3/4 cup of BBQ-Your favorite
- 2-3 Tablespoons Honey
- Preheat oven to 275 degrees
- Rinse ribs and pat dry
- Remove the thin membrane on the boney side of the ribs
- In a bowl mix together all of the dry ingredients and set aside
- On a baking sheet place large enough piece of foil for the ribs , the foil will need to be large enough to seal at the top and ends
- First place the ribs meat side down in the center of the foil and rub the 1/4 -1/2 of the seasoning mixture on the boney side of the ribs
- Flip the ribs over and rub the rest of the mixture on the meaty side of the ribs
- Seal the top and the sides of the foil by bringing it up and folding it over
- Place the foil wrapped ribs on the baking sheet in the preheated oven for 3 hours.
- After 3 hours pull the ribs out of the oven and carefully open the foil
- In a bowl mix together BBQ sauce of your choice and 2 Tablespoons of honey
- Brush BBQ sauce on the meaty side of the ribs
- Broil on High for about 5 minutes or until the BBQ sauce is slightly caramelized
- Remove them from the oven and allow to rest for 10 minutes
- Slice the ribs between the bones.