These Blueberry Biscuits with Lemon Glaze are so dreamy!! Do you ever see a recipe shared on Facebook and think ..”wow, i really need that” ? Early on a Sunday morning I saw a blueberry biscuit recipe shared on Facebook and after I got caffeinated I went to work. I didn’t even click on the link , I wanted the recipe to my own. In the picture it was just a plain biscuit , I knew I wanted a lemon glaze. Lemon and blueberry is simply a marriage made in heaven. After several experiments this is the Blueberry Biscuits with Lemon Glaze I decided I liked the best.
I am the first person to admit I am all about buying biscuits in a can but if you have time you really need to make them . It really isn’t that hard as long as you follow a few steps, It is so worth the time. Start by cubing the butter in small pieces and placing it in the freezer for 10 minutes. Once it is ready sift together the dry ingredient and using a fork or pastry cutter cut the butter into the flour mixture.
Once the butter is cut it should resemble small pebbles or peas.
Add cold buttermilk and mix well. Carefully fold in blueberries and turn onto a floured surface.
Cut biscuits and place into a buttered buttered pan or skillet. Brush the biscuits with melted butter. Bake in a preheated oven for 10-14 minutes or until golden brown.
While the biscuits are mix the lemon glaze..the fresh lemon is a must.
Once the biscuits cool a few minutes drizzle the glaze in the biscuits.
Recommended Supplies for this recipe:
- Biscuit Cutter
- Dough blender
- Pastry Mat for Rolling the biscuits and cutting them , this has made life so easy.
Blueberry Biscuits with Lemon Glaze
- 2 cup all purpose flour-a little extra for rolling
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 6 Tablespoons very cold cut butter
- 3/4 cup cold buttermilk
- 3/4 cup frozen blueberries
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- 1 Cup powdered sugar
- 2-3 Teaspoons of lemon zest
- 1-2 Tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 450
- Cube 6 tablespoons of Butter in small squares , place in a small bowl and place in the freezer for 10 minutes
- Melt 2 tablespoons of butter and brush the pan you are using liberally, I used a cast iron skillet
- In a large mixing bowl sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and granulated sugar
- Once the butter is cold enough using a fork or pastry cutter cut the butter into the flour mixture until the butter looks like small pebbles or peas
- Remove the buttermilk from the fridge and slowly mix it into the flour mixture.
- Fold in blueberries carefully, if using frozen they won't break as easily
- Turn the mixture onto a floured surface and with floured hands press the dough into a1/2 -3/4 rectangle-Do Not Roll or the berries will break
- Use a bicuit cutter or glass and cut the biscuits and place them in the pan
- You will need to reform the dough to cut more biscuits, you should be able to get 5-6 depending on the size
- Brush the biscuits with the melted butter
- Bake in preheated oven for 10-14 or until golden brown
- While the bicuits are baking mix the glaze to the consistency you like using fresh lemon juice
- Once the biscuits are done let them cool for 5 minutes
- Drizzle glaze on biscuits