One taste of these decadent cupcakes and I am flooded with memories of my Grandmother. It is funny how a certain taste and smell can bring back memories. She loved any and everything lemon , so much so yellow was her favorite color. She said yellow was a happy color and I have to agree. I can picture myself eating something similar to this at her tiny yellow bistro table in her breakfast nook. Lemon anything is truely my favorite thing this time of year and these Lemon Cupcakes with Lemon Cream Cheese Frosting are right up my alley
These cupcakes are everything a cupcake should be. They are light and airy, sweet , and topped with a zesty cream cheese frosting. What is not to love ? Anything topped with cream cheese frosting is fantastic. As much as I love lemons in the spring strawberries run a close second. If you love strawberries in the spring also check out my Strawberry Delight Ice Box Cake.
These are are super easy to make but I do have a trick. To make any kind of cake very soft and air like I add the egg last and after beating the egg whites to a stiff peak. Believe me , everyone always wonders why my cakes are so wonderful . This is “THE THING” that makes a difference so take the time and do it. Be gentle when folding in the egg whites, in the end you should have tiny air pockets in your mix like in the pictures below.
Once the cupcakes come out of the oven let them cool cool completly on a wire rack start in the frosting. Make sure your cream cheese and butter is room temperature. This will give you the best results for mixing . Then frost your cupcakes, the optional lemon head is a fabulous addition
Other Recipes you may enjoy
Lemon Cupcakes with Lemon Cream Cheese Frosting
- Lemon Cake Mix
- 1 cup water
- 3/4 cup oil
- 3/4 cup sour cream
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 2 Tablespoons lemon juice
- 4 Egg whites
Lemon Cream Cheese Frosting
- 8 oz Cream Cheese Room Temp
- 4 Tablespoon Butter Room Temp
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1-2 Tablespoons Lemon Juice
- 4-5 cups powdered sugar
- Yellow food coloring-optional
- Lemon Head Candy -optional
- Preheat Oven to 350 degrees and line cupcake tins -this recipe make 24 cupcakes
- In a large mixing bowl mix the lemon cake mix, water, oil, sour cream , lemon zest and lemon juice. Beat until smooth
- In a medium bowl beat 4 egg whites with a wire whisk attachment until stiff peaks form
- Gently fold egg whites into the cake mix until it is all incorporated
- Fill cupcake liners
- Bake for 13-15 minutes
- Let cool on a wire rack completly
- In a large mixing bowl blend together the room temp cream cheese and butter . Beat until nice and fluffy
- Add lemon juice and zest Blend well-Start with one tablespoon of juice
- Add one cup at a time of powdered sugar
- At this point get it to the consistency you like by adding the 5th cup of powdered sugar or more lemon juice
- Add a few drops of yellow food coloring but this is optional
- Frost cooled cupcakes
- I topped mine with lemon heads for an extra punch of flavor
Lemon desserts are my fav! I would down these cupcakes in no time!!
I love Lemon also Nicholas..Thanks !!
I am going to make these!! I am so into lemon right now.
I love Lemon too..I have some lemon cookies that I will have up here pretty soon that are fabulous.
In your commentary you stated you add the egg last after the whites are stiff. Are you adding the egg yolks to the cake mix?
Only the egg whites