Do you ever have over ripened bananas and want to do something a little different ? Well, this is how this Boozy Banana cake came to be. I had some bananas I was saving to make banana bread and after seeing something about Bananas Foster on TV my recipe wheels started turning . I am also all about being easy and I love bundt cakes. I mean who doesn’t love a nice bundt cake? It’s not exactly bananas foster but it has basically the same flavors.
Don’t be scared of the title , the rum in this recipe is very faint and there is no harsh alcohol taste. All the the booziness is cooked so it is safe to say this cake is ok for the whole family. I grew up being exposed to a lot of recipes using rum and bourbon , maybe it’s a Louisiana thing not sure though lol .
This cake forms a nice little crust on the outside but is tender on the inside. Carmelizing the bananas with the rum really enhances the flavor. Now the Carmel rum glaze , I could eat this alone . Its almost like having a rum flavored praline on top of this cake
To get started gather the ingredients to Caramelize the bananas. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and spray bundt pan with cooking spray with flour
Melt butter in a large skillet over medium heat and add sliced bananaa and brown sugar
Cook until nice bubbly and the mixture begins to thicken
Add cinnamon and rum
Cook a bit longer until it thickens up and set aside
In a medium bowl mix the flour , baking soda , baking powder and salt
In a mixing bowl cream together the butter , granulated sugar and eggs
Alternate adding flour and buttermilk to the creamed mixture
Once everything in mixed beat in the carmelized bananas . Pour into a bundt pan prepared with cooking spray with flour. Bake in preheated oven for 55 minutes or until tester comes clean
One the cake is done let it sit for 10 minutes and invert it onto a cake plate and allow to cook completely
Once the cake is cool start the glaze . In a small saucepan cook the butter , cream and brown sugar on medium heat .
Make sure you whisk the mixture and cook 3-4 minutes
Add rum and vanilla
Then whisk in powdered sugar
Whisk until incorporated
Spoon onto cooled cake
Then top with pecans and banana chips if you desire
Boozy Banana Cake
- 4 medium ripen bananas
- 1/4 cup dark brown sugar
- 1/4 cup dark rum
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 3/4 cup butter-room temp
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 3 cups all purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup buttermilk
Caramel Rum Glaze
- 4 Tablespoon butter
- 1/2 cup dark brown sugar
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup sifted powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoon dark rum
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- Dried Banana chips for garnish--Optional
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and spray a bundt pan with baking spray with flour
- Start by caramelizing the bananas .In a skillet melt 4 tablespoons of butter , add sliced ripened bananas and 1/4 cup brown sugar.
- Stir the mixture and as it get bubbly and thicken add rum, vanilla and cinnamon. Cook a little longer until it thickens up a bit. Take off the burner and set aside.
- In a medium bowl mix flour, baking soda, baking powder , salt and set aside
- In a mixing bowl cream together 3/4 cup of softened butter, one cup granulated sugar and egg. Mix until nice and fluffy.
- Starting with the flour mixture alternate flour mixture and buttermilk until blended well
- Now add the banana and rum mixture and blend well
- Pour into the prepared bundt pan
- Bake in preheated oven for 50 minutes or until tester comes out clean
- Allow to cool in pan for around 10 minutes and flip onto a cake plate and allow to cool completely
Caramel Rum Glaze
- Cook on a medium heat the butter, dark brown sugar and heavy cream cook 4-5 minutes whisking
- Add rum and bring back up to slow bubble for a few minutes
- Whisk in sifted powdered sugar
- Drizzle on cake immediately , this hardens quickly
- Sprinkle on pecans before glaze hardens
- Decorate with banana chips if you like.
I’m so amazing at what I saw on your blog,was searching for a nice site where I can get banana cake for my cousin’s wedding. Your banana cakes looks.
attractive and adorable .
I will like to you to bake a cake for my cousin’s wedding that is coming up next month.
Awww thank you so much .. I have a banana maple cake also that is really good also.