A Homemade Graham Cracker Crust is easy and made with three simple ingredients. This buttery thick crust can be used for baked pie, no bake pies, tarts and even cheesecake. Once you learn the easy basic concept it can be used anyway you like. Are you wondering why you would make your own crust instead of buying that already made crust in the little tin shell. Like anything else homemade is always better and this is no exception.
For years I was intimidated by a homemade graham cracker crust and would use the store bought type from the baking isle. So easy , pop the top off and pour. There is nothing wrong with that at all but once you learn how easy making your own is you will never go back. Three simple ingredients mixed together , packed into a pie dish and baked. The trick is packing it into the pie dish well. I use my little tart tamp to do the this but the bottom of a cup works just as well. When this baked it is held together lightly by the sugar , it helps form the crust in the baking process.
What’s Needed to Make a Homemade Graham Cracker Crust
- 1 1/2 cups of Graham Cracker Crumbs -If you are processing your own it’s about 20 graham crackers
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 6 Tablespoons of Me
- lted Butter
- Pie Plate
- Tart Tamp
Is a Tart Tamp really necessary??
I love my little Tart Tamp , it’s a great tool for less than $5. I originally was given this tool to make Pecan Tassies and now I use it for many projects. If you like me and think you don’t need one more thing in your kitchen a bottom of a measuring cup can be used to pack down the graham cracker crumbs. So the answer is No you don’t have to use this tool, It is just my preference.
First Gather your ingredients. I use the already processed graham cracker crumbs but feel free to run your own graham crackers through the food processor. In a medium bowl mix together your graham cracker crumbs , sugar and butter , it will look almost like wet sand. Pour the mixture into a pie dish and start to pack it down.
I use my tart tamp to pack down the mixture but the bottom of a measuring cup will work as well. Make sure to not forget the sides.
Bake in a preheated 350 degree oven for 10 minutes , until slightly browned. Let it cool completely before pouring a no bake pie filling in the crust.
No Bake Pie Ideas
Homemade Graham Cracker Crust
- 1 1/2 cups graham cracker Crumbs
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 6 Tablespoons Melted butter
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- In a bowl combine graham cracker Crumbs , sugar and butter
- Mix until everything is combined and the mixture almost looks sandy
- Pour into a 9-9.5 pie dish
- Pack down the mixture really well using a tart tamp or the bottom of a measuring cup. Make sure to get the sides as well as the bottom.
- Bake in a preheated oven for 10 minutes
- Remove from oven and allow to cool completely