This creamy crawfish baked potato is a meal all in one . It is a soft potato topped with a flavorful creamy crawfish sauce. This is cheesy and creamy, the best potato you will ever have .
Tis the season for crawfish and Creamy Crawfish Baked Potatoes!! While most people are excited about spring and daylight savings time here in Louisiana we are excited about crawfish season. Until recent years and videos shared on social media I thought EVERYONE would loved crawfish like we do. I never realized that our beloved mud bugs creeped people out, they are just tiny lobsters lol. I think everyone should experience a real crawfish boil at least once in their lifetime. It isn’t just about the food, it is the whole experience. It is an all day affair and social event better than any other cookout you will ever experience.
While boiled crawfish is really my family’s favorite it is a big production that we usually only reserve for the weekends. That doesn’t keep us from indulging on weekdays since buying already cooked crawfish is pretty common. A local restaurant that closed years ago used to serve a big baked potato smothered in crawfish sauce and it was delicious . Since they closed I have recreated it so we can still enjoy this yummy meal and it makes everyone happy at my house. It is essentially the meat and potatoes of Louisiana
Start off by baking your potatoes like you normally would. Washing them, wrapping them in foil and baking them at 350 for an hour or so. In a large skillet melt butter on medium heat and add onions, celery , garlic and cook until tender.
Once the vegetables are tender add the flour and stir. Bring the roux up to a bubble on medium heat but don’t brown it
Add chicken broth and then cream , stirring the whole time.
Once the cream is incorporated add all of the seasoning and crawfish along with the fat in the bags. Simmer on medium heat for 10-15 minutes
Make a slit in the potato and dress it the way you like. I like to put cheese and sour cream so it is nice and gooey .
If you love my Creamy Crawfish Baked Potatoes check out a few more Louisiana Favorites.
Creamy Crawfish Baked Potatoes
- 1 cup butter
- 1 cup chopped yellow onion
- 3/4 cup diced celery
- 1 bunch green onions chopped only the green ends
- 2 cloves garlic chopped
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 2 12 oz Bags of Crawfish
- 2 teaspoons creole seasoning-I prefer Tony's for this dish and then don't use any salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- salt to taste..I use Tony's and it has plenty of salt
- 5 Large Russet potatoes
- Butter sour cream , cheese --for the potato
- Clean the potatoes , wrap in foil , bake for about 1 hour at 350
Creamy Crawfish Sauce
- In a large skillet melt butter over medium heat
- Add onions, celery and garlic..Cook until tender
- Slowly add flour and stir
- Cook until bubbling but don't brown the roux
- Slowly add chicken broth stirring the whole time
- Then add cream and bring up to a slow simmer
- Add crawfish and seasoning
- Simmer for about 10-15 minutes
- When potatoes are done cut a slit in them and put desired toppings
- Spoon Crawfish sauce over the potato and serve