A few years ago I tried buttermilk syrup and fell in love, I never looked at maple syrup the same. This Buttermilk Bourbon Syrup I spiced up for the holidays and to go with my Eggnog French Toast ,but this can be used on just about anything. Don’t be scared of the bourbon , it isn’t harsh and the alcohol cooks out. It can be eliminated all together but I love the flavor , it really adds a special touch. This syrup also would be a great addition to my Spiced Pumpkin Apple Pancakes.
This Buttermilk Bourbon syrup is thick , rich and super easy to make. Very basic ingredients most people have on hand. Believe me once you try this you will be ruined and never want bottled syrup again. It is an indulgence I wouldn’t have everyday but is perfect for special occasions.
In a medium sauce pan combine the buttermilk, both sugars, corn syrup, bourbon , cinnamon and nutmeg. Cook on medium heat until the mixture comes to boil. Reduce heat and simmer four to five minutes stirring from the bottom.
Turn heat off and whisk in vanilla and baking soda. It will foam up but don’t worry the foam will settle .
Serve warm and Enjoy.
Buttermilk Bourbon Syrup
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 2 tablespoon light corn syrup
- 2 tablespoons bourbon
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Combine all of the ingredients except the baking soda and vanilla in a medium sauce pan
- On medium to high heat bring the mixture up to a boil
- reduce the heat and simmer 4-5 minutes , stirring the bottom of the pan
- Remove from the heat whisk in baking soda and vanilla..it will foam up so don't be alarmed it will settle
- Allow to sit and and settle
- Best served warm
- Store leftovers in the fridge and warm to serve