This past week was a little wacky for me and I didn’t get as many meals cooked as I normally do. Last week we had my birthday (HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ME) and I don’t cook that day , veterans day school programs, bowling special olympics for my autistic son , and my oldest son’s high school football team played the first round of the high school play-offs. All of these extra activities on top of our normal jammed packed schedule kept me chasing my tail to say the least. Not to mention my two trips to the DMV and one trip to the social security office and I still have an expired driver’s license, the joys of adulting lol. So in a nutshell eating on the run and not cooking is not so easy for my husband that is trying to follow a low carb / keto friendly diet . He fell off the wagon a bit so I am getting organized and meal prepping for him to help get him back on track.
This Keto Creamy Chicken makes eight servings and is perfect for meal prepping for the week. My husband was getting a bit tired of chicken breast so I used chicken thighs in this creamy sauce and it worked beautifully and it was a nice change. While this can be enjoyed all alone I did serve it with some broccoli and it was a very satisfying meal. This recipe seems like a lot of steps but it is really not that hard and trust me the end result is well worth the work. This is the first time I have used almond flour and I am still on the fence about the texture of this flour. While this sauce was cooking I was very concern but once the cream and cheese was added it was just fine.
NOTE… I really don’t like to include nutritional info since these things vary greatly according to the brands you use. For everything I used in this dish if this is divided equally in 8 portions it has 4.3 grams of Carbs.
So Let’s get started!! Gather all your ingredients for this YUMMY recipe!!
Melt 2 Tablespoons of butter in a skillet and get the skillet nice and hot. Salt and pepper the chicken thighs and brown them really well on each side
Add a half a can of chicken broth and make sure the chicken isn’t sticking to the bottom of the pan
Add the mushrooms and turn the heat down to medium. Place the lid on top of the skillet and let things simmer a bit.
In a separate skillet melt the remaining 6 tablespoons of butter for making a light roux and mix the seasoning and set aside
Once the butter is nice and hot add the almond flour and stir constantly with a spatula until it slightly browns
Once the roux is slightly brown add the other half a can of chicken broth . Stir well and bring this mixture up to a boil and this mixture and reduce just a bit
Meanwhile remove the chicken from the other skillet set it to the side. The mushrooms and the rest of the liquid will be added to the other skillet
After adding the mushroom mixture to the skillet with the roux add the seasoning and bring it up to a medium boil
Add cream and stir well once there is a slow boil add the shredded cheese and keep stirring until it is all melted
Add spinach and stir well and place lid on the mixture and allow it to simmer for a few minutes
Once the spinach is cooked, place the chicken back in the creamy sauce and top with freshly grated parmesan cheese . Place the lid back on top of the skillet and let the cheese melt
Keto Creamy Chicken
- 8 Boneless Skinless Chicken Thighs
- 1 stick Butter
- 1 cup Heavy Cream
- 1 14.5 oz can of chicken broth
- 8 oz sliced mushrooms
- 6-8 oz package of fresh spinach
- 1/4 cup almond flour
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese optional
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- salt and pepper to taste of the chicken
- Melt 2 tablespoons of butter in a skillet on high heat
- Salt and pepper chicken thighs and add them to the hot skillet
- Brown the the chicken on both sides really well
- Add a 1/2 a can of chicken broth to the chicken and make sure the chicken isn't sticking to the pan
- Reduce heat to medium, add mushrooms and place a lid on the skillet
- In a separate skillet melt the remaining 6 tablespoons of butter on high heat
- Add the almond flour stirring with a spatula until the roux starts to brown
- Once the roux is slightly brown add the remaining chicken broth from the can and continue to cook on high and let the mixture slightly reduce..approximately 10-15 minutes
- While that mixture is reducing remove the chicken thighs from the other skillet and set them aside. Save the mushrooms and broth
- Mix the seasoning together
- Add the mushrooms and broth to the roux mixture.
- Add the seasoning and bring the mixture up to a slow boil
- Add 1 cup heavy cream and bring the sauce up to a slow boil
- Reduce heat to Low and add 2 cups of shredded mozzarella cheese
- Stir occasionally with a spatula and allow all the cheese to melt
- Add fresh spinach and sir slightly
- Place lid on top until the spinach is wilted
- After the spinach is wilted stir the creamy mixture well add the chicken back to the pot
- Top with parmesan cheese if desired and place the lip back on top until the cheese is melted