These Chocolate Peppermint Cake Balls ooze everything I love about Christmas goodies. Dark yummy chocolate and the slight minty flavor that reminds you of candy canes. I remember back in the 1990’s when I first started making cakes balls , it was usually reserved for away to use left over cake. Then everyone started making them just because. Why? Because they are frickin delicious !! Gooey yummy cake drenched with frosting in the center rolled in a ball , then coated with chocolate . I have learned a lot of tricks along the way to make these so much easier than I did back then . One of the best things I have discovered is Bada Bing Bada Boom Gourmet Chocolate from Chocoley. This is the easiest chocolate I have ever worked with and the best for coating cake balls. It stays smooth and melted , I coated all the cake balls without having to reheat it. I’ll discuss more tips and tricks but if you love chocolate and peppermint check out a few other of my recipes. Peppermint Mocha mix and Double Dark Chocolate Peppermint Cookies are both perfect for the season.
A few things about cake balls I have learned over the years making millions of them.
- Canned frosting works great with these, even if you are a frosting snob like me
- Do not get the cake too wet with frosting , a half a can is plenty
- A cookie scoop makes all the balls all the same size
- Freezing the cake balls prevents them from falling apart in the dipping process
- A chocolate dipping tool is your friend but the old faithful fork will work
These are not really hard to make , I started with a dark chocolate cake mix. I mixed the cake according to the box and added 1 1/2 teaspoons of peppermint extracts. Crumble the cake after it cools. Once the cake is completely cool put half of the tub of frosting into a small bowl and microwave for 30 -60 seconds, Until it is able to be poured. Stir in 1/2 teaspoon peppermint extracts and mix well. Poor icing over the cake crumbles and mix and coat very well
Scoop out portions roll them into a ball ..using a 11/2 Tablespoon cookie scoop is the easiest way to do this. Place cake balls on a wax paper lined cookie sheet and put them into the freezer for one hour.
Once the cake balls have been in the freezer for an hour Prepare 4 cups of Bada Bing Bada Boom melting wafers in the microwave according to the packages directions.
Once the chocolate is melted add the 1 1/2 teaspoons of peppermint extracts. Mix well with a wire whisk.
Take only a few cake balls out at a time, maybe 6-8. Drop one cake ball into the chocolate at a time . Make sure it is coated and lift out with a chocolate dipping tool or fork
Place on a the wax paper and sprinkle the cake balls immediately , the chocolate will set up fast since the balls are so cold.
Let the cake balls set up for 30 minutes before serving and Enjoy!!
Chocolate Peppermint Cake Balls
- Dark Chocolate Fudge Cake Mix Duncan Hines
- 1 cup water
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 3 eggs
- 1 1/2 Teaspoons Peppermint extracts
- 1/2 tub 16oz Chocolate Fudge Icing Pillsbury
- 1/2 teaspoon peppermint extracts
- 4 cups of Bada Bing Bada Boom Dark Chocolate melting wafers
- 1 1/2 teaspoons peppermint extracts
- Optional Christmas sprinkles
- Preheat Oven to 350 degrees
- Mix cake according to the packages direction plus 1 1/2 teaspoons of peppermint extracts
- Pour into a prepared 9x13 Pan
- Bake 26-31
- Allow to cool
- Break the cake up in the fine pieces
- Once the cake is completely cool put half of the tub of frosting into a small bowl and microwave for 30 -60 seconds. Until it is able to be poured
- Stir in 1/2 teaspoon peppermint extracts and mix well
- Poor icing over the cake crumbles and mix and coat very well
- Scoop out portions for cake and roll them into a ball ..using a cookie scoop is the easiest way to do this
- Place the balls on a cookie sheet lined with wax paper
- Place the cake balls in the freezer for one hour
- After an hour Prepare you chocolate but keep the cake balls in the freezer
- Line another cookies sheet with wax paper
- Place 4 cups of Bada Bing Bada Boom Dark chocolate wafers in a microwave safe bowl
- Microwave according to directions
- Once the chocolate is melted and smooth add 1 1/2 teaspoons of peppermint extracts and incorporate with a wire whisk
- Take only a few cake balls out at a time 6-8
- Drop one cake ball into the chocolate at a time . Make sure it is coated and lift out with a chocolate dipping tool or fork
- Place on a the wax paper and sprinkle the cake balls immediately , the chocolate will set up fast since the balls are so cold
- Let the cake balls set up for 30 minutes before serving