If someone told me they didn’t like tacos my first thought would be ” Who the heck doesn’t like tacos?” my next thought would be ” I don’t think we can be friends anymore” #sorrynotsorry lol .If I had to eat one thing the rest of my life it would probably be tacos. They are versatile and can be made from any kind of meat or even with veggies. Anytime we give our kids a choice of places to go eat they almost always chose a Mexican place, some places better than others . To say the least we all love Mexican food and it’s flavor but no matter what margaritas always make everything better and so do tacos !! These Cilantro Lime Pulled Pork Tacos are not exception.
I love easy dishes with Mexican flair and this Cilantro Lime Pulled Pork Tacos done in the crock pot is a great dump and go meal . It is the perfect thing to put on to cook while you go to work and come back to the intoxicating aroma of Mexican yumminess. One sniff and close your eyes you will hear the mariachi band playing and margaritas being blended… Ok back to reality everyone is hungry waiting for dinner to be finished lol. I usually make a beef shredded meat like this but pork tenderloins were on sale so I adjusted the ingredients and viola Mexican magic pork . Once this meat is shredded and all the spices soak up into the meat this very versatile. In this recipe I used it for tacos but this could easily be used for burritos, quesadillas or to eat alone if you are watching carbs . This dish is a little on the spicy side but I will give some pointers on how to bring it down a notch. The flavorful meat on a tortilla with a creamy slaw on top is a perfect meal any night of the week.
This starts off very easy! Place a pork loin roast in a crock pot and pour a bottle or can of beer over it. I picked a Mexican beer just because that is the beer of choice at our house. If you don’t want to use beer it can be substituted for a can of chicken broth.
Add diced onions, minced garlic, diced Jalapeno,diced canned chiles and chopped cilantro.
In a bowl add chicken broth, ElPato spicy tomato sauce(If this is not with the rest of the tomato sauces it is usually located with the mexican food at most super markets) , chili powder, cumin , chipotle pepper, and salt . Mix well
Note** To make this dish a bit less spicy replace the ElPato spicy tomato sauce with regular tomato sauce and omit the chipotle pepper.
Pour this mixture over the roast
Place the lid on top. Cook on low 9-10 hours or High 6-7 hours
Once the roast is cooked it should be tender and falling apart to the touch. Remove the broth and place in a bowl. You will use some to add to the shredded meat . The rest can be frozen for future use or discarded.
Shred the pork with two forks and place it back in the crock pot
Take a slotted spoon and get all the onions and bits of yumminess . Add them to the meat along with enough broth wet the meat.
Squeeze another lime into the meat and extra cilantro
Mix all the slaw ingredients. Place meat in a tortilla and top it with slaw .
Cilantro Lime Pulled Pork Tacos
- 3 1/2-4 pound pork roast -loin or shoulder roast
- 1 medium onion diced
- 1 fresh jalapeno deseeded and diced
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro -Plus extra for later
- 4 oz can of diced chiles
- 2 Limes squeezed
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 1 bottle or can of beer
- 1 can of chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 TBSP chili powder
- 1 TBSP cumin
- 1 TBSP Chipotle Chile Pepper omit if you don't like spice
- 7.75 can ElPato Hot Tomato sauce-located with the mexican food at most super markets can be replaced with plain tomato sauce for less spice
- corn or flour Tortillas
- 10 oz bag angel hair cole slaw mix
- 1/2 cup mayo
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup diced onion
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- 1 lime juiced
- salt and pepper
- Place roast in a crock pot and pour a can or bottle of beer over it
- add diced onion, diced jalapeno, diced chiles, minced garlic, and chopped cilantro
- In a bowl mix ElPato spicy tomato sauce, chicken broth, salt, chili powder, cumin, chipotle pepper. After it is mixed well pour it over the roast
- Squeeze a few limes over the top
- Place the lid on the crock pot and cook for 9-10 hours on low 6-7 hours on high
- When the roast is done and falls apart to the touch remove the broth and set aside in a bowl
- Shred the pork with two forks and place it back into the crock pot
- With the slotted spoon get all the onions and little bits from the broth and put it with the meat
- spoon enough of the cooked broth over the meat to wet the meat and discard the rest
- Squeeze another lime on the pork and add a handful of chopped cilantro
- Place the lid back on top and put on warm
- Mix all the ingredients of the slaw
- Place meat in a tortilla and top with slaw
Looks great I’ll have to try real soon! Thanks for the past deliciousness!!!!
A very flavorful dish. My whole family enjoyed it. Simple to make also!
I am so glad you enjoyed it !!
[…] Cilantro Lime Pulled Pork Tacos By Baked Broiled and Basted […]
Hi Debbie! Found your recipe through a google search. Ingredients appealed to me so I made it. Because we love spicy foods, I upped the hot chilies but followed the rest of your recipe. It was FANTASTIC! Wondered why you didn’t use pork butt or shoulder but after cooking it down, realized that it would have turned out way to greasy. Pork Loin, good choice! Will be making this again and again and again! Thank you!
Hi Chris .. so glad you enjoyed this. This is an easy family favorite at our house too. Thanks for your kind words.