Our Easy Hummingbird cake recipe is made in a 9×13 pan and from scratch ! It is moist and melt-in-your-mouth cake full of tropical flavors from bananas and pineapple, with a satisfying crunch from pecans. The homemade cream cheese frosting that is thick, creamy, and rich. Perfect for any occasion or just a sweet treat this is a southern tradition everyone needs to try. This cake was super popular in the 1980’s where I live and we always made it a double layered cake. I seriously had this cake for my 16th birthday , sweet memories. Making this in a 9×13 pan makes this easy enough that even beginner bakers can enjoy this cake. If you love cakes from scratch check out my Maple Banana Cake .
What you will need to make this Easy Hummingbird cake:
- Oil- not butter for this cake, the oil helps this cake be moist
- Mashed Ripe Bananas – This also helps make this cake moist and give that distinct flavor
- Crushed Pineapple -Undrained , you need those juices for the cake . Again this helps with the fruity flavor
- All purpose flour- Nothing fancy just plain flour
- Cinnamon – the amount of cinnamon in this cake is very subtle
- Baking soda
- Cream cheese for the frosting
- Butter – helps this frosting be velvety smooth
- Powdered sugar
As you can see the most of these ingredients are basic things you will most likely have on hand. This cake has very simple ingredients . As far as equipment goes the cake is mixed by hand but the frosting you will need a mixer.
Equipment Needed :
* THIS POST CONTAINS AFFILIATE LINKS WHICH MEANS I MAY MAKE A SMALL PROFIT FROM PRODUCTS AT NO COST TO YOU . JUST TO NOTE I ONLY RECOMMEND PRODUCTS I USE AND LOVE CLICK HERE FOR FULL DISCLAIMER
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a mixing bow add oil, eggs ad sugar. Beat with a wire whisk until light and fluffy.
Add the mashed bananas , crushed pineapple , and vanilla. Mix well
Add the flour , cinnamon , salt , baking soda and the pecans . Mix together with a rubber spatula
Pour into a prepared 9×13 baking pan and bake for 45-50 minutes or until a tester comes out clean
Once the cake is cooled blend together the cream cheese , butter , vanilla and powdered sugar. Blend until the frosting is light and fluffy
Frost the cooled cake and top with chopped pecans .
Enjoy this delectable cake .
If you like this recipe give these a try:
Easy Hummingbird Cake
- 3 large Eggs
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 2 cups mashed ripe banana 3-4 large Bananas
- 8 oz crushed pineapple undrained
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 3 cups flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup pecans
Cream Cheese Frosting
- 8 oz cream cheese
- 1/2 cup butter
- 3 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a mixing bow add oil, eggs ad sugar.
- Beat with a wire whisk until light and fluffy
- Mix in vanilla , mashed bananas and undrained crushed pineapple
- Add flour , cinnamon , baking soda, salt , and pecan. Mix with a rubber spatula until everything is combined
- Pour into a prepared 9x13 baking dish. ( prepare it with oil and flour or spray with cooking spray with flour ) Bake for 45-50 minutes or until a tester comes out clean
- Once the cake is cooled prepare the frosting by blending the cream cheese , butter and vanilla. Add a little powdered sugar at a time blending well in between.
- Blend until smooth and creamy
- Frost cooled cake and sprinkle with pecans,