Our Easy Hummingbird cake recipe is made in a 9×13 pan and from scratch ! It is moist and melt-in-your-mouth cake full of tropical flavors from bananas and pineapple, with a satisfying crunch from pecans. The homemade cream cheese frosting that is thick, creamy, and rich. Perfect for any occasion or just a sweet treat this is a southern tradition everyone needs to try. This cake was super popular in the 1980’s where I live and we always made it a double layered cake. I seriously had this cake for my 16th birthday , sweet memories. Making this in a 9×13 pan makes this easy enough that even beginner bakers can enjoy this cake. If you love cakes from scratch check out my Maple Banana Cake .
What you will need to make this Easy Hummingbird cake:
- Oil- not butter for this cake, the oil helps this cake be moist
- Mashed Ripe Bananas – This also helps make this cake moist and give that distinct flavor
- Crushed Pineapple -Undrained , you need those juices for the cake . Again this helps with the fruity flavor
- All purpose flour- Nothing fancy just plain flour
- Cinnamon – the amount of cinnamon in this cake is very subtle
- Baking soda
- Cream cheese for the frosting
- Butter – helps this frosting be velvety smooth
- Powdered sugar
As you can see the most of these ingredients are basic things you will most likely have on hand. This cake has very simple ingredients . As far as equipment goes the cake is mixed by hand but the frosting you will need a mixer.
Equipment Needed :
* THIS POST CONTAINS AFFILIATE LINKS WHICH MEANS I MAY MAKE A SMALL PROFIT FROM PRODUCTS AT NO COST TO YOU . JUST TO NOTE I ONLY RECOMMEND PRODUCTS I USE AND LOVE CLICK HERE FOR FULL DISCLAIMER
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a mixing bow add oil, eggs ad sugar. Beat with a wire whisk until light and fluffy.
Add the mashed bananas , crushed pineapple , and vanilla. Mix well
Add the flour , cinnamon , salt , baking soda and the pecans . Mix together with a rubber spatula
Pour into a prepared 9×13 baking pan and bake for 45-50 minutes or until a tester comes out clean
Once the cake is cooled blend together the cream cheese , butter , vanilla and powdered sugar. Blend until the frosting is light and fluffy
Frost the cooled cake and top with chopped pecans .
Enjoy this delectable cake .
If you like this recipe give these a try:
Easy Hummingbird Cake
- 3 large Eggs
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 2 cups mashed ripe banana 3-4 large Bananas
- 8 oz crushed pineapple undrained
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 3 cups flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup pecans
Cream Cheese Frosting
- 8 oz cream cheese
- 1/2 cup butter
- 3 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a mixing bow add oil, eggs ad sugar.
- Beat with a wire whisk until light and fluffy
- Mix in vanilla , mashed bananas and undrained crushed pineapple
- Add flour , cinnamon , baking soda, salt , and pecan. Mix with a rubber spatula until everything is combined
- Pour into a prepared 9x13 baking dish. ( prepare it with oil and flour or spray with cooking spray with flour ) Bake for 45-50 minutes or until a tester comes out clean
- Once the cake is cooled prepare the frosting by blending the cream cheese , butter and vanilla. Add a little powdered sugar at a time blending well in between.
- Blend until smooth and creamy
- Frost cooled cake and sprinkle with pecans,
Such a great Hummingbird cake. This fed my extended family this weekend at our Easter gathering and everyone loved it and asked for the recipe. Of course, I shared your link with everyone. Thanks so much for a delicious light and fluffy cake that was delicious!
I am so glad all of you enjoyed it
I never tried a hummingbird cake until this one and now I know I was missing out! So good, my whole family loved it.
I am so glad everyone liked it
This hummingbird cake came out so moist and the thick homemade frosting was the perfect topping.
This is one of my family’s favourite vintage cakes and I’m thrilled to have this easier version to fall back on. It’s a ‘bake again’ recipe!
I grew up in Europe and never heard of a Hummingbird cake before. Glad I gave it a try! The cream cheese frosting was so creamy and delicious and the cake moist and so tasty.
Loved this easy version of hummingbird cake. I always thought it would be more complicated to make, but nope! Simple and so delicous!
I love hummingbird cakes! They are so delicious and a perfect spring dessert. This is perfect for Mother’s Day!
This is one of my favorite cakes, but I will be honest, I did not know it was called hummingbird cake!
I’ve never made a hummingbird cake before but you make it look so easy! Can’t wait to try making this cake this week.
I can’t believe this hummingbird cake is so easy to make. I love baking on Sunday, and my kids told me today was their lucky day because of your delicious recipe. Thanks for sharing.