This is a decadent stablized mascarpone whipped cream and is perfect for dipping fruit in but is firm enough to frost a cake or cupcake. I created this after falling in love with Rousse’s Gentilly Cake . Their whipped frosting that is served on this cake is rich and has almost a wedding cake vibe. This is why I chose to flavor this with almond and not a traditional vanilla. I loved it so much I was inspired to make my own Gentilly Cake ..this is one epic cake.
What the heck is mascarpone cheese and where do you buy it? Mascarpone cheese is an italian cream cheese . It has a higher fat content than traditional american cream cheese and this makes it super creamy. This type of cheese is pretty easy to find now , it is usually in the deli section of major grocery store chain along with the fancy cheeses. At our Kroger it is grouped with the Italian cheeses while at wal-mart is is next to hummus . So,if your aren’t sure using a store app is always easy or asking someone. Trust me , once you make this Mascarpone whipped cream you will always remember where to find it.
Mascarpone Whipped Cream
- 8 oz mascarpone cheese
- 1 1/2 cups very cold whipping cream
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons almond extract
- For best results place your metal bowl and wire whisk in the freezer for 10-15 minutes
- Place the container of mascarpone cheese on the counter at this time
- Once the bowl and wisk is cold place the mascarpone cheese in the mixing bowl and begin beating on medium speed until nice and fluffy..maybe 3 minutes
- Slowly add the whipping cream to the mascarpone cream , beat on medium speed until it begins to thicken up a bit. Maybe 3-4 minutes
- At this time slowly add the powdered sugar and then almond extract
- Beat on high until very stiff peaks form ..maybe 6-8 minutes
- Now this is ready to use as a topping or in the place of frosting on cakes and cupcakes.
- If using on a doubled layered cake it was need to be doubled and tripled on a triple layered cake