These fair funnel cakes are fried to golden perfection and generously dusted with powdered sugar and are super easy to make at home . Bring the taste of the fair home with just a few basic ingredients and your family will love them . Like most of you our fall fair we have every year has been canceled and I was needing my yearly fair food fix. Once a year I need a good old fashioned corn dog and funnel cake.
Our community was devastated by Hurricane Laura and then hit with Hurricane Delta so our annual fall festival is obviously canceled just because of this reason. Even if we wouldn’t have had the hurricanes I am pretty sure the fair would have been cancelled because of covid-19 restrictions . Most communities across the nation are cancelling fairs and events that draw large gatherings . This means we are missing all of our favorite fair food. These funnel cakes are super easy to make and if you have an outside burner of some type there is no mess in your house. I used the propane burner on my gas grill and it worked fabulous. I use that burner all the time for cooking things I don’t want to mess up my kitchen with , like frying bacon . While making funnel cakes is easy I have a few suggestion that will make this process a little easier .
Let’s Make Fair Funnel Cakes !
Things you will need to make funnel cakes:
- All of the ingredients for the batter-self -raising flour , eggs, sugar, milk and vanilla
- Vegetable oil for frying
- Powdered Sugar for dusting
- A deep skillet or pot for frying-see here
- Funnel-see here
- squeeze bottle-optional-see here
- 6 inch egg mold-optional-see here
- metal tongs-see here
- Thermometer -see here
- Sifter-see here
If you are using a squeeze bottle cut the end off to make the hole a little larger. I used an old serrated knife to do this but a razor blade or large wire snips could be used. Also, an old ketchup bottle would work perfect for this , I just didn’t have one. I really love the bottle method , it really makes this process so much easier.
There is nothing fancy about this mixing method. Just put everything in a large mixing bowl and whisk until there are no lumps. Super easy and fast! Use a funnel to fill the squeeze bottle or use the old fashion funnel method. This method is place your finger over the hole of the funnel and allow the mix to drizzle out of the spout into the hot oil.
Place the oil in a deep skillet or pot , allow it to heat up. This is a great thing to cook outside. Like I said before, I use the burner on my gas grill. Once the oil is heated to between 350-375 degrees place the egg mold into the hot oil. This egg mold is not necessary but let me tell you , it makes life so much easier. The mold is the perfect size for a funnel cake and it makes them form perfectly. Once the batter is drizzled into the mold allow the funnel cake to cook until it is cooked together. Carefully remove the mold using an oven mitt and set it aside.
Using a pair of metal tongs carefully flip the funnel cake allowing both sides to cook to golden brown. As you are cooking these you may have to adjust your oil temperature if they are cooking too fast or not fast enough. After making a few you get the hang of it.
Remove the funnel cake from the oil and place it on a paper towel to drain the oil. Once it is drained place on a paper plate and generously dust with powdered sugar. These are best served warm and fresh.
Trust me your family will love these !
Fair Funnel Cakes
- 3 Cups Self Rising Flour
- 1/4 Cup granulated sugar
- 2 Eggs
- 1 3/4 cup Milk
- 1 tsp vanilla
- Vegetable Oil for frying
- Powdered Sugar for dusting
- Start by filling a skillet with vegetable oil with 2-3 inches of vegetable oil and heat it between 350-375 degrees
- In a mixing bowl whisk together the self rising flour, sugar, eggs , milk and vanilla until there are no lumps
- If you are using a squeeze bottle cut the end off to make the hole a little larger.(If you don't have a bottle see my notes)
- Using a funnel and pour the batter into the bottle
- If using the egg mold place it in the hot oil .
- Drizzle with a constant flow the batter into the ring until it fills up .
- Once the funnel cake cooks together carefully remove the ring using an oven mitt.
- With metal tongs to carefully flip the funnel cake .
- Cook until golden brown on each side
- Removal from oil and place on paper towels to soak up the excess oil
- Transfer to a plate and dust with powdered sugar
- These are best served warm
- 6 In Egg Ring-Optional but very helpful
- Condiment Squeeze Bottle
- Oil Thermometer
- metal tongs
*** This post contains affiliate links