These old fashioned apple fritters are small donuts packed with apples and cinnamon. Then drizzled with a simple glaze to add the perfect amount of sweetness. These are so simple to make with mostly pantry staples and are ready in less than 30 minutes. These are perfect for holiday breakfast or just because it’s the weekend. Growing up my dad loved these and my mom made them on the weekend often . My Dad loved all apple desserts so these fritters ring back childhood memories. We love apples at my house , check out my Cinnamon Apple crisp.
What you will Need to Make these old fashioned Apple Fritters :
- Self Rising flour
- Milk- I used whole milk but any kind will work
- Apple – any type , I used a Honeycrisp or gala
- Oil for frying – I used vegetable oil
- A Deep fryer or pot to fry it in
- Oil thermometer -An Oil thermometer is really handy for this recipe to make sure it doesn’t get too hot
Frequently asked Questions :
- Do I have to use self rising flour ? You make your own by adding 1 1/2 teaspoons of baking powder and 1/4 teaspoon of salt to every cup of flour
- Do I have to use milk ? You can use a like substitute soy or a nut milk
- Do I really have to use a thermometer ? No I grew up in a house that my mother would drop water in the hot oil to see if it is ready. A thermometer does help you keep from getting the oil too hot . If the oil is too hot you will have an under done fritter in the center.
- How long are these good for ? Honestly they are best fresh but they can be reheated in the microwave or air fryer
- What kind of apples do I need to use ? Any type. I like to use a Gala or Honeycrisp . I found the Granny Smith took a little longer to get soft .
Start by making the glaze so it will be ready to drizzled on the hot fritters.
This is a simple one bowl recipe. Once everything is mixed fold in the apples .
Once the oil is hot enough drop the batter in by the tablespoon full. Fry a few minutes in each side .
Drizzle or brush the warm glaze on the fritters. These are great served with coffee .
If you like this recipe you will love these :
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 large egg
- 1/3 cup granulated Sugar
- 1 2/3 cup self rising flour
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 Large apple -peeled and diced small apple of your choice about 1-1 1/2 cups
- vegetable oil to fry with
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 2-3 tablespoons milk to the consistency you like
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- Mix the glaze to the desired consistency and set aside
- Start heating the oil to these fry best between 350-375 degrees .Use a deep pot with at least 4 inches of oil works best
- In a large mixing bowl beat together the egg, milk and until mixed well
- Add self rising flour, sugar and cinnamon , stir until smooth
- Fold in diced apples
- Drop in tablespoons of the apple batter into hot oil . Once they float to the top let them cook about 3 minutes . Flip and let them cook another 2-3 on the other side . They should be golden brown
- Remove from oil and allow to drain. Drizzle or brush with glaze or dip with glaze while they are hot.