This Hummingbird Cake With cream cheese filling is full of banana , pineapple and pecans with a surprise filling . Perfectly topping with a sweet frosting.Growing up in the south I remember the first time I had a Hummingbird cake and I have had a love affair with it since then. I typically had them with the three yummy layers and cream cheese frosting oozing from all the layers. The ripe bananas not only give this cake the basic flavor it makes this cake melt in your mouth tender. Adding pecans and pineapple just makes this cake absolutely divine. I really don’t know who claims to have come up with the wonderful cake but they are pure genius and need to be in the Southern Bakers Hall of fame, lol.
As much as I love this iconic cake I tend to always be in a hurry and making a 3 layer cake isn’t a reality for me on most days. I decided to make this cake into a bundt cake and adding a cream cheese filling. This Hummingbird Cake With cream cheese filling was the perfect cake for our Easter meal. Well, it was a huge time saver and had all the yummy flavors of one of my favorite cakes ever. The cream cheese layer is almost like a layer of cheesecake baked inside the cake. Just because this is a bundt cake it doesn’t mean you cake frost it and sprinkle it with a little love AKA pecans .
If you love this cake Check out my Maple Banana Cake.
Hummingbird Bundt Cake with Cream Cheese Filling
- 4 Medium Ripe bananas mashed
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 4 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 3/4 cup vegetable oil
- 3 cups all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 8 oz can crushed pineapple with the juice
- 1 1/2 cup chopped toasted pecans
Cream Cheese Filling
- 8 oz cream cheese-room temp
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 Tablespoons all purpose flour
Cream Cheese Frosting
- 8 oz cream cheese-room temp
- 8 Tablespoons Butter-room temp
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3 1/2-4 cups of powdered sugar
- 1-2 Tablespoons Milk --optional depending if you want it Thinner
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans for topping
- Start by toasting 2 cups of pecans and chopping them. Reserve a 1/2 cup for the topping
- Make the cream cheese filling by mixing all the ingredients and set aside
- For the cake mash 4 very ripe banana
- Blend together the mashed bananas , 2 cups sugar and 4 eggs
- Blend in 3/4 cup vegetable oil and vanilla
- Sift together 3 cups of flour, 1 teaspoon baking soda, 1/2 teaspoon salt , and 2 teaspoon cinnamon
- Slowly add the flour mixture to the wet ingredients until it is blended well
- Fold in the can of crushed pineapple and pecans
- Prepare a bundt pan ..I prefer using a cooking spray with flour
- Pour half of the cake mix into the bundt pan
- Pour the cream cheese mixture on top the cake mix
- Pour the rest of the cake mix
- Bake in a preheated oven at 350 degrees for 1 hour and 10 minutes
- Let the cake cool 10-15 once it is out of the oven and them invert it onto a plate
- Let the cake cool completely before frosting the cake
- Mixing the frosting by creaming together the butter and cream cheese and add the powdered sugar a little at a time . If it is too thick you can add a little milk
- Top with 1/2 cup toasted chopped peccans
I’m going to try to bake this cake and let you know how it comes out. Sounds delicious and looks great.
I love baking and cooking. My dream is to have my own little tiny restaurant someday.
I hope you enjoy this yummy cake Angie ,let me know how you like it.
Debbie, Can I use gluten free flour in this recipe the same way as All purpose?
Hi Tammy , I have never used gluten free flour for this recipe. I am familiar with baking with gluten free flour , Sorry.
What size Bundt pan to use & can you also use a 9×13 pan
For this recipe I use a basic 6 cup bundt pan. I have never tried this recipe in a 9×13 baking pan, the filling may be tricky in this size pan.