So here’s the deal, at my house my 3 teenage sons and husband do not think soup is a meal. They consider it an appetizer or a side dish, my boys are seriously bottomless pits. I am always testing the waters with hearty soups to try and satisfy everyone. We all love lasagna but being a busy mom I don’t always have time to make one. I hit the jackpot with this filling dish!! All the flavors and cheesy goodness of lasagna without all the fuss. This cheesy lasagna soup is super easy to throw together and can be made on a weeknight.
The men in my house are meat lovers so to make them happy I started with 1 pound ground meat and 1 pound of mild italian sausage in a nice sized soup pot. The italian sausage gave this dish flavor and depth , much better than ground beef alone.
Then I add onions , mushrooms and diced carrots. The carrots add a hint of sweetness and the mushrooms are like sponges that soak up all the flavors and gives a nice texture.
Once the onions are slightly translucent and the carrots have softened up a bit add chicken broth , spaghetti sauce and a can of diced tomatoes.
At this point add the seasonings and let it simmer , the flavors will mingle and be merry. We love spice and flavor at our house, so I used red pepper flakes in this recipe. If you like things a little milder just leave them out , you just won’t have the little added kick.
Put your soup on to simmer for an hour . This is when things go on automatic pilot for a while so you can get some laundry folded or in my case I’ll grab a glass of wine and put my feet up, lol.
After an hour you will notice some liquid will cook out so 2 cups of water will need to be added before the pasta is added. Once it is simmering again add the pasta and spinach, turn off the burner and place the lid on the pot for 15 minutes or until pasta is soft.
Now it’s time for the magic!! When serving this soup cover the bottom of your bowl with mozzarella cheese .
Ladle the soup on top of the cheese then top it with fresh parmesan cheese and garnish with parsley .
Once you stir this you will have a warm cheesy soup with all the flavors of a lasagna without all the work.
I would love to hear from you after you cook this yummy soup!! ENJOY!!
Cheesy Lasagna Soup
- 1 pound ground meat
- 1 pound mild italian sausage
- 1 large onion diced
- 1 cup fresh diced carrots
- 8 oz sliced mushrooms
- 32 oz Chicken broth
- 14.5 oz can of diced tomatoes
- 24 oz jar of spaghetti sauce
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 2 teaspoon italian seasoning
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1/2 tablespoon of red pepper flakes
- 2 cups water
- 2 cups fresh spinach
- 2 cups spiral pasta
- Grated Mozzarella cheese
- Grated Parmesan cheese
- optional parsley for garnish
- In a large soup pot brown the ground meat and italian sausage
- Once the meat is browned add the onions , carrots, and mushrooms. Cook until the onions are slightly translucent
- Add the chicken broth, spaghetti sauce and diced tomatoes give it a few good stirs
- Add salt, minced garlic, italian seasoning and red pepper flakes
- Bring the soup up to a boil and reduce the heat and let simmer on a medium heat for about an hour or until the vegetables are tender. Giving it a stir every now and then
- Some of liquid will cook out so after 45 or so add the 2 cups of water.
- Once things are simmering again add the pasta and spinach. Turn the heat to low and place the lid on the pot for about 15 minutes.
- To serve cover the bottom of a bowl with mozzarella cheese. Ladle hot soup over it and top with grated parmesan cheese