These Southern Deviled eggs are creamy with a slight tang . They are perfect for all occasions and a staple in most southern households . This is a good basic recipe that I have been using all of my life and it can be adjusted to your taste. As long as I can remember we have had deviled eggs at every holiday and just about every party or get together in between . I own more deviled egg platters than the average person , seriously no less than 10 platters of all shapes and sizes. I have collected then over the years buying most of them at thrift stores. When I see a platter that is a little unusual I have to buy it , like the one in the picture. If you like this recipe you need to check out my Jalapeno Cream Cheese Deviled Eggs, it is a great twist on a classic.
Why do we put Paprika on deviled eggs? I really can’t answer that but my Momma always did so I do as well. Deviled eggs are not done until they are dusted with paprika . It adds a touch of color and makes them pretty is my answer . I use a good smoked paprika so it adds a touch of a smoky flavor. If you want to leave it off feel free.
* THIS POST CONTAINS AFFILIATE LINKS WHICH MEANS I MAY MAKE A SMALL PROFIT FROM PRODUCTS AT NO COST TO YOU . JUST TO NOTE I ONLY RECOMMEND PRODUCTS I USE AND LOVE CLICK HERE FOR FULL DISCLAIMER
What you will need to make these Southern style deviled eggs :
- Freshly hard boiled eggs
- Mayo of your choice , click here for my favorite
- Dijon Mustard
- Dill pickle relish
- Salt and Pepper
- Smoked Paprika
- Kitchen knife Click here for the one I use everyday
- Fork to mash the yolks
- A deviled egg platter, I have more than I care to admit and have bought them all at Thrift stores .
- Deviled egg storage container
Lets make Deviled Eggs !
Start off by cutting the cooled hardboiled eggs in half length wise.
Reserve the egg whites and place the yolks on a plate . Start smashing the eggs with a fork trying to get out as many lumps as possible.
Add mayo , Dijon mustard, and relish to the yolks and mix until smooth.
Salt and pepper to taste ..add a little at time .
Pipe or spoon the yolk mixture into the reserved egg whites .
Dust with a little paprika . Serve immediately or serve covered in the refrigerator up to four days. .
If you love this recipe check out my other Southern Recipes
Southern Deviled Eggs
- 12 Hard Boiled Eggs
- 1/2 Cup Mayo your favorite , a good quality mayo
- 1 Tablespoon dill pickle relish
- 1 Tablespoon Dijon Mustard
- Salt and Pepper to taste Start with a little at a time
- Smoked Paprika for dusting on top option
- Slice Hard Boiled eggs length wise
- Reserve the egg whites on a plate or platter
- Place the yolk on a plate and smash them up with a fork. Try to get out as many lumps as possible.
- Add the mayo, Dijon mustard and pickle relish to the smashed yolks and mix until smooth .
- Salt and pepper to taste adding a little at a time
- Pipe or spoon yolk mixture into the reserved egg whites.
- Dust with a little paprika if desired. Serve immediately or cover and chill. Store covered in the Refrigerator up to 4 days .