When I see peeps they just make me happy and I know Easter is near. I will be honest here, I am not a fan of eatting them but they are just so darn cute I love using them. Making these Easter Cupcakes was so fun, if you like peeps then your decorations are edible. When I made these cupcakes I used the combination of my Lemon Cupcake and my Strawberry Frosting. The combination of the two flavors is very spring like and yummy. I decided to fill these with a marshmallow filling , this is optional but so much fun when you bite into these cupcakes.
So once you have baked your cupcakes , made the frosting and filling it is time to get started. I know it’s a lot of mixing but the end result is fun. This is the perfect recipe to share with your kids. I used a large icing tip to cut out the center of the cupcake . This worked great but you can also use a small pairing knife.
Fill the cupcakes with the marshmallow filling. This is sticky so be careful and there might be a little bit leftover.
Top the cupcake with a little mound of frosting for the bunny to sit on .I used a very large open star tip but feel free to use your favorite.
Break apart the bunny peeps and place a toothpick in the bottom of a peep.
Place the peep on top of the mound of frosting.
Scatter a few jelly beans around the bottom of the peep.
Now watch with joy when your family and friends get the marshmallow surprise in the center.
- Lemon cake mix
- 1 cup water
- 3/4 cup oil
- 3/4 cup sour cream
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 2 Tablespoon lemon juice
- 4 Egg whites
- 1 1/2 sticks room temp butter
- 1 oz bag freeze dried strawberries
- 1 teaspoon strawberry extract
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 2-3 tablespoons milk
- 7 oz jar marshmallow cream
- 4 Tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- Bunny Peeps
- Easter cupcake liners
- Jelly Beans
- Preheat oven to 350 and line cupcake tins with easter cupcake liners
- In a large mixing bowl mix the lemon cake mix, water, oil, sour cream , lemon zest and lemon juice. Beat until smooth
- In a medium bowl beat 4 egg whites with a wire whisk attachment until stiff peaks form
- Gently fold egg whites into the cake mix until it is all incorporated
- Fill cupcake liners
- Bake for 13-15 minutes
- Let cool on a wire rack completly
- Place freeze dried strawberries in a food processor or blender and blend it until it a fine powder , set aside
- Place room temp butter in a stand up mixer and beat until fluffy
- Add the strawberry powder and beat untill incorporated
- Beat in strawberry extract
- Add a powdered sugar a half a cup at a time and alternate adding milk until desired consistency
- Beat until smooth and fluffy
- This step could be skipped but it is a little extra goodness
- Beat all the ingredients of the marshmallow filling together
- Fill in a piping bag fitted with a big tip or even just the end snipped off
- I used the wide end of a piping tip to cut out the center of the cupcakes for the filling but you can you a small pairing knife also
- Once all the cupcakes have the centers cut out pipe the filling in , it will be thick
- Pipe the strawberry frosting ontop of the cupcake giving a pretty good mound for your bunny peep
- Break apart the bunny peeps and place a tooth pick in the bottom and place it on the mound of strawberry frosting
- place a few jelly beans around the bottom of the peep